Parents are a child’s first teacher. The most accurate predictor of a student’s achievement in school is not income or social status, but the extent to which that student’s family is able:
- To create a home environment that encourages learning
- To express high (but not unrealistic) expectations for their children’s achievement and future careers
- To become involved in their children’s education at school and in the community
We have a few things we ask parents to do during their child’s School Readiness year. These requirements are designed to equip you to be your child’s first teacher:
- Attend a parent orientation session
- Complete registration paperwork at your child’s preschool. Pay half of the preschool registration fee (approximately $25). Pay the monthly parent share of tuition – the amount of the monthly parent share depends on family income.
- Complete an Early Childhood Screening within 90 days of enrollment in the program. (Rochester residents can call 328-4004 to make a screening appointment. Out-of-town residents should contact their local school district).
- Attend three Parent Education Groups.
At Parent Education Groups child care for preschool age children is provided while the parents meet. Many types of Parent Education Groups are offered at no cost to families. To register for a Parent Education Group, please call the PAIIR office at 507-328-4020.
In addition, several Family Events will be planned throughout the year that you are encouraged to attend with your entire family.
2018-2019 Parent Education Topics
|Date||Time||Topic||Parent Education Credits|
|Wednesday, September 12||6:30-8:00pm||Parenting Styles||1|
|Tuesday, October 16||9:30-11:00am||Connection before Correction||1|
|Saturday, November 10||9:00am-Noon||Intentional Parenting using Positive Discipline||3|
|Thursday December 20||9:30-11am||Stress Management||1|
|Wednesday, January 9||6:30-8:00pm||Conscious Discipline by Becky Bailey||1|
|Tuesday, February 19||9:30-11am||Parenting with the End In Mind||1|
|Wednesday, March 20||6:30-8:00pm||Seven Habits of Highly Effective Families by Steven Covey||1|
|Thursday, April 11||9:30-11:00am||Math and Reading in your Home||1|
|Wednesday, May 22||6:00-7:30pm||Managing Emotional Mayhem by Becky Bailey||1|