References and Background Checks

///References and Background Checks
References and Background Checks

We suggest asking other parents to share their experiences. The Minnesota Department of Human Services is responsible for licensing child care centers. For licensing questions regarding Child Care Centers, call 651-431-6500.

The Child Care Licensing unit in each county is responsible for licensing family child care homes. Phone Numbers of County Licensing Divisions are listed below.

For licensing information about a particular provider, visit Licensing Information Lookup page at the Department of Human Services.

Call Licensing

Questions to Ask the Licensor

  • Have there been any complaints or negative action listed against the program?  If yes, what was the nature of the complaint(s)?
  • How long has the program been licensed?
  • When were background checks done?
  • Have the training requirements been completed?
  • How many children can the program have in its care?
  • Is there anything else you can tell me about this program?

For centers and preschool programs, call state licensing: 651-431-6500. For family child care homes, contact the county licensing agency in which the child care professional lives:

  • Blue Earth 507-304-4273
  • Brown  507-359-6576
  • Dodge  507-635-6170
  • Faribault 507-238-4757
  • Fillmore  507-765-2175
  • Freeborn 507-377-5511
  • Goodhue 651-385-3232
  • Houston  507-725-5811
  • Le Sueur 507-357-8288
  • Martin  507-238-4757
  • Mower  507-377-5511
  • Nicollet  507-386-4517
  • Olmsted  507-328-6400
  • Rice  507-332-6272
  • Sibley  507-237-4000
  • Steele  507-444-7500
  • Wabasha 651-565-3025
  • Waseca  507-837-5305
  • Watonwan 507-375-3294
  • Winona  507-457-6200